College of Education

Keep Learning

Technology Support Support Services Library Undergraduate Students Graduate Students Licensure Programs SCE Early Field Experience Requirements

For Current Students

Policy Changes

  • Grading evaluation principles to reassure students that they will not be disadvantaged in the graduate school admission process if they have P/NP grades on their transcripts due to the COVID-19 crisis 


I am worried about transitioning to online learning. Will instructors be flexible?

Our instructors are aware that this is an unprecedented time, and that students may need guidance and understanding. Please do not hesitate to reach out to your instructor if you have any questions about the transition.

What do I do if I need to submit a form?

Submit a PDF of the form to A list of forms can be found at

Our instructors are aware that this is an unprecedented time, and that students may need guidance and understanding. Please do not hesitate to reach out to your instructor if you have any questions about the transition.

I have a Departmental Advising Hold on my account. How can I remove it?

It may be due to your annual student evaluation. Please make sure you have completed the evaluation, and then contact the Graduate Student Services Office for assistance with removing the hold.


I need to borrow a computer or some technology. Where can I go?

The Technology Loaner Program is a partnership established across the campus IT community to loan technology hardware to eligible students, faculty, and staff who have unmet needs. This includes the loaning of new or used computer, peripherals, and Internet “cellular hotspot” technologies to support online learning and work-from-home activities for the duration of the Covid-19 crisis.

Are Prelim/Final Exams still being held remotely?

Yes.  The Graduate College ( is allowing examinations to take place fully online.  All Prelim/Final Exams are being conducted via Zoom. Please contact Graduate Student Services Office with any questions.

Can I still attend my colleague’s final exam virtually?

Yes. Information about final exams will arrive in an email from Final exams will be conducted via Zoom.

What does it mean if a class changes grade mode to Pass/No Pass (PA/NP)

There will be very few courses that change to this grade mode.  If you have been notified that one of your classes has changed to PA/NP, please contact your advisor to discuss the impact. 

Is registration still being impacted from the COVID-19 pandemic? Please keep checking the Office of the Registrar’s site for further details and updates.
I am trying to enroll in a course and keep receiving an error message. What should I do?

Check the restrictions listed on the course and the section you are trying to register for on Course Explorer ( If you meet the restrictions, check that there is not a time conflict with another course you are registered for. If you are still unsure, contact Katie M. Burke at Please include the error message you are receiving.

I would like to extend my graduation term. How can I do that?

You will need to fill out a Graduate Student Petition and an Academic Plan form. It is recommended that you are specific as possible in describing your remaining milestones and how you plan to achieve them. More Information can be found at

How do I apply to graduate?

You can apply to graduate using Self-Service. Degree audits are completed once you are on the degree list.  An email is sent if there are any questions or missing requirements. For online and off-campus programs, please contact Jena Pfoff at On-campus Education Policy, Organization and Leadership and Special Education students should contact Linda Stimson at For Curriculum and Instruction and Educational Psychology, contact Mitzi Koeberlein at

Was there a virtual Convocation for the Class of 2020?

Yes! You can view the virtual Convocation for the Class of 2020 at

Will courses still have final exams?

Please contact your instructor for more information regarding their final exam plans. 

Can I use a tuition waiver if I'm taking online classes?

Your academic program determines whether you can use an Illinois tuition waiver


Degree seeking students:


Non-degree seeking students: 

  • Online students:  Students inself-supporting programs are not eligible to receive Illinois tuition waivers.  Waivers are only allowable if the student is registered through CITL (program code 10LN1249NDEJ). 
  • On-campus students:  Students are eligible for these waivers, even if they are taking an online section of a course. 


Employer’s Tuition Coverage: 

  • If the student’s employer provides educational benefits, it is up to the student to contact the Human Resources department in their organization to determine eligibility.

If you have questions about applying Illinois waivers to your program, contact