Alternatives to School Research
Bureau of Educational Research
Last update: August 21, 2020
Available Data Sets
- National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES), US Department of Education
- Urban Institute Education Data Explorer. Provides access to many relevant data sources (NCES, IPEDS, etc), in an easy-download format. This may be helpful for people less experienced with these data sets.
- Chicago Public Schools Data Sets
- Illinois Board of Higher Education Report Card Data Library (Research & Data Tab: Data & Statistics, IHEIS Data Collection, Reports and Studies)
- Illinois Library Guide: Social Science, Health, and Education Data and Statistical Sources: Education Statistics
- World Bank Education Data Sets
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics
Best Practices in Online Research
- Addressing Challenges and Pitfalls in Internet Data Collection
- Aguinis, H., Ramani, R., Villamor, I., Bernerth, J., DeSimone, J. A., Keith, M. G., Landay, K., & Taylor, E. (2019). Addressing challenges and pitfalls in internet data collection. Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2019(1),1.
- Pitfalls, Potentials, and Ethics of Online Survey Research: LGBTQ and Other Marginalized and Hard- to-Access Youths
- McInroy, L. B. (2016). Pitfalls, potentials, and ethics of online survey research: LGBTQ and other marginalized and hard-to-access youths. Social Work Research, 40(2), 83-93.
- The Challenges of Conducting Surveys of Youth
- Lenhart, A. (2013, June). The Challenges of conducting surveys of youth. Pew FactTank.
- Ethical issues in using the internet to engage participants in family and child research: A scoping review
- Hokke, S, Hackworth N.J., Quin, N., Bennetts, S. K., Win H. Y., Nicholson J. M., et al. (2018). Ethical issues in using the internet to engage participants in family and child research: A scoping review. PLoS ONE 13(9): e0204572.
- Illinois Virtual School
- Michigan Virtual Learning Research Institute Research Clearinghouse
- Virtual Schools in the U.S. 2019