College of Education

Keep Learning

Technology Support Support Services Library Undergraduate Students Graduate Students Licensure Programs SCE Early Field Experience Requirements

For Applicants

I have questions about a program. Where can I direct these questions?

Email with any questions you may have. Additionally, we can be reached by phone between 8:30 and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Our number is 217-244-3542.


I am not looking to pursue a degree, but I would like to enroll in a certificate program or a course offered through an Education department. What should I do?

Non-degree seeking students enroll directly in courses through the Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL). Information regarding non-degree registration can be found at Please contact CITL at if you have any questions about the non-degree registration process.

 If you are not a current student and are interested in the Instructional Design MasterTrack Certificate program, visit the following website for additional information. 

How should I send you my transcripts?

At this time, it is recommended for official transcripts to be sent digitally. To be considered official, transcripts must be sent from the institution associated. Please note that unofficial transcripts are accepted for application purposes. 

 If you are unable to send in a digital copy, have your official transcripts sent directly to the Graduate College (address below). If you have already mailed in your transcripts to the College of Education, note that we will receive them at a later date. 

Graduate College – Transcripts 

110 Coble Hall 

801 South Wright Street 

Champaign, IL 61820 

Are admissions deadlines being extended?

See our application deadlines page for current information. 


Can I submit my application before my recommenders have uploaded their letters?

Yes. Links to upload their letters are sent to recommenders via email. The links remain active after the application has been submitted. If your recommender has issues uploading your letter, please have them contact


How can I learn about financial aid opportunities?

Please visit the Office of Student Financial Aid website at to learn more about financial aid. Many on-campus degree-seeking students hold assistantships or fellowships to subsidize cost of attendance. Please note that students in online programs are not eligible for assistantships or fellowships. For information on this, please visit the webpage of the Graduate College’s Fellowship Office

Do you allow the transfer of credit into your programs?

The Graduate College allows master’s students to transfer in up to 12 hours of applicable credit once at least 8 hours of institutional credit has been earned.  Students entering our doctoral programs are not able to transfer in outside credits but are able to transfer in up to 12 hours of coursework completed as a non-degree student through the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Before applying, do I need to contact faculty members to inquire if they are looking for advisees?

No. Advisees are assigned to students upon their admission into the program. If you are interested in a specific professor’s research or have questions about their subject area, you are welcome to contact them with inquiries. 

I am a University of Illinois employee with educational benefits. Can I use them towards an online degree program?

Our online programs are considered self-supporting and are not covered under employee’s educational benefits. However, you can take online classes through our on-campus programs.  For more information regarding this, contact

I do not meet the admission requirement of a 3.0 GPA for the last two years of my undergraduate study. Will my application still be considered?

Yes.  We encourage you to apply.  Faculty review the complete application, not just your GPA.  If you feel you need to address the low GPA, include that in your personal statement.

I am a Fulbright applicant. How do I apply to your program?

Fulbright applicants use the standard application procedure. Upload your documents relating to Fulbright under “Additional Materials.” 

Is the GRE or GMAT required for admittance?

The GRE or GMAT are only required for students applying to the PhD programs in Curriculum & Instruction and all Educational Psychology programs. No online programs require these test scores. 

Do I need to possess a master’s degree to apply to your doctoral program?

Most of our doctoral programs are Stage II and require an existing master’s degree for admittance. The Educational Psychology department offers doctoral programs that you can apply to with a bachelor’s degree and earn your master’s degree on the way to your PhD. 

Can I speak to an admission or academic advisor?

We do not have academic or admission advisors in our office. All students are advised by faculty members. If you have questions about the admissions process, contact, or 217-244-3542. For program-specific questions, we can point you in the direction of your prospective faculty program coordinator. 

Can I attend a webinar?

We currently do not have any webinars scheduled, but we are happy to connect you with someone who can answer your questions virtually. Please email us at