College of Education


Outreach College Committees Units Policies & Procedures Forms Awards

Preparing Course and Program Proposals

Proposing a New Course FAQs

How do I determine the effective term?

The effective term will generally be Fall 20XX, even if you plan to teach the course in Spring.  If you are submitting a course request for a term past the current academic year, use Fall of that academic year.  (Example, the current academic year is 2019-20.  The course will be taught Spring 2021.  Use Fall 2020 as the effective term.)

A course submitted for the current academic year needs to take the Academic Catalog into consideration.  The Academic Catalog is the program that incoming freshmen are held accountable to.  If the course does not affect the current year Academic Catalog, you can use whichever term you wish.  If it does affect the current year Academic Catalog, carefully review whether 1) it can be effective the following fall semester or 2) it is okay that this changes the current Academic Catalog.  (Example, the current academic year is 2019-2020.  The course revision is for a change in credit hours for Spring 2020 on a required course in a degree program shown in the Academic Catalog.  Determine if freshmen need to take the course in Spring 2020 with the revised credit hours.  If so, continue with Spring 2020.  If not, make the change effective Fall 2020.)  A program revision is also required if the Academic Catalog changes.

If a proposal is in workflow (having been submitted and waiting on an approval), can another proposal be submitted on the same course?

No, the first proposal must becompletely approved before another proposal can go forward.

How do I propose a new course that is a required course in a program?

1) Answer yes to the question on the proposal “Does the addition of this course impact the departmental curriculum?”  State where and why it is a required course.   Be specific about where it fits in that program.  

2) Departments need to ensure that a required course will have instructional capacity.  This can be done by adding multiple instructors to the course proposal and providing a statement that maps out when each instructor will teach the course.

Do I need to propose a new course if I want to teach a separate section of an existing special topics course (590, 199, etc.)?

No, paperwork is not needed.  Simply have the department add the section.

How do I assign a permanent course number to a course that had been taught as a separate section under a special topics course?

You must propose a new course in CIM.  If you want to combine the omnibus course with an existing course, you must edit the course in CIM to change the course description.  In the justification, specify that you need to remove the Section/CRN for the existing special topics course.

If I have an 8-week four-hour course, how do I mark the question asking for the duration of the course? Is it a full-term course or less than full term?

It would be considered less than full term. This question refers to the duration of a full traditional semester. 

If a course is online or hybrid instruction, does it have to go through additional reviews?

No, there generally is not an extra level of review for online or hybrid courses unless their addition significantly impacts an online program. CEEED can be involved if the course will cause a change in hours for a program or if there is something out of the ordinary the students are being asked to do.

What should the syllabus include?

Consult the Center for Teaching Excellence guidelines. In addition, it must include:

Can freshmen take a 300- or 400-level course?

Yes, nothing restricts a freshmen or sophomore from registering for a 400-level course (unless the unit sets up a restriction at the section level). However, it may be a challenge in marketing the course to freshmen as they may shy away from a 400-level course.


How do I request general education certification for a new course?

First set up the new course in CIM.  After the course has been completely approved, go back into CIM Courses, edit the record, and complete the General Education section.  More information on General Education courses can be found in the Revising an Existing Course 


How do I propose a special topics course under a rubric (such as 199, 590, etc.)?

If a rubric does not already have a special topics or other omnibus course, and you would like to set up a new course (not sections under an existing special topics course), you must propose a new course in CIM. You will need to attach a syllabus that is very basic. It should follow the guidelines of a regular syllabus, but also include:

  • The range of credit. If known what will be required for each range of credit, include this information.
  • Weekly contact hours that equate to each hour of credit.
  • Anything that would be the same across each section.
  • Sample readings and schedule with a note that specifics are "to be determined."
  • Anything else that might be known about the course.