College of Education


Outreach College Committees Units Policies & Procedures Forms Awards

Preparing Course and Program Proposals

Program FAQs

If a proposal is in workflow (having been submitted and waiting on an approval), can another proposal be submitted on the same program?

No, the first proposal must be completely approved before another proposal can go forward.

How do I complete the “Statement for Programs of Study Catalog” section of the Program Proposal?

If there is a change to an existing section, use a “current” and “proposed” type of formatting.  Copy the existing paragraph or table from the Academic Catalog to your document and add how you want the paragraph to look after the proposed changes are approved.  You may also use the template as a guide. 

What is the process if I have to make a change to a licensure program?

The program proposal (and any course revisions or new course proposals) goes to the Academic Programs Committee for approval. Proposals should include how the course changes are aligned with state standards for licensure. Once approved, they are forwarded to the Council on Teacher Eduction (CoTE). Once CoTE Executive Committee approves these documents, they are sent to ISBE and to campus simultaneously for approval.

When I prepare a program proposal that involves courses from outside the College of Education, do I need a letter of support?

A letter of support is needed from the department owning the course. Approval from the college overseeing that department is also recommended and can be included on the same letter. To retrieve this letter, you can contact the academic services unit in that college/department or the department head.

If I include general education courses in a program or concentration, do I need a letter of support from LAS?

No.  A letter is not necessary for general education courses.  It is suggested, however, that you include wording in the proposal about the estimated number of students that will be taking these courses.  However, if there are any courses that are not general education courses, a letter is required.  (See question/answer above.) 

Can a student have multiple concentrations in one major?

That is at the discretion of the College of Education.  There should not be much, if any, course overlap between concentrations.  Note:  Concentrations are shown on transcripts. 

Can I add 300- or 400-level courses to an undergraduate program?

Yes, freshmen and sophomores can register for a 400-level course (unless the unit sets up a restriction at the section level) but freshmen may shy away from the higher levels. It may be more advantageous to offer 300- or 400-level courses later in the student’s career (junior or senior year) and provide them with lower level courses their freshmen and sophomore years.

Is a program proposal required to set up a Dual Degree program?

No. The two colleges determine whether a dual degree is possible.  There is usually paperwork that each college requires but it is handled at the college-level.